Home Contact Us Our Vizslas Upcoming Litters Szizlin Boys Szizlin Girls Friends Pfalcon's Kids News Titleholders Nationals Ads Photo Gallery Puppy Raising Tips Show Article



Maynard Mandy Raisa Pfalcon Libby Ptoppir KestrelFaithe Vela Manda Raina Ptorrie Ruffian Hepburn Lyra Brisbane Citori Zenyatta   




  CH. Dirigo's Trademark  x CH. Heelmark's Dontcha N'Deavor ROM

OFA # VZ2832G25F         MAGYAR DNA #V96015

July 28, 1986 - October 27, 1999

"A Rock Solid Foundation - We Were SO Lucky"

Mandy was the foundation bitch of Szizlin Vizslas  - added to the family first and foremost as a companion for Maynard - but perhaps a female that we "might" show and breed.  Mandy was a whirlwind - a ball of fire and a nudge who wanted things her way! Mandy loved to hunt, and boy could she move! Words could not express how much she gave us. 

Many thanks to her breeders, Ruth E. & Robert H. Sinclair, Heelmark Vizslas; to Suzanne and Larry Gray, Dirigo Vizslas, who owned her father Trademark; and to all the breeder's in Mandy's pedigree who contributed to give us such a great start. We join the vizsla community in mourning the premature loss of  Suzanne Gray in June 2012.  Mandy Pictured Above in 1988 on the way to the VCA National Events in Omaha, Nebraska


Links To Mandy's Litters

Mandy Marker Danny '91 Danny '92 DJ




 At 7 weeks (Minutes Later She Jumped Off)


 Best In Sweeps - August 1987 - CVVC Specialty (one of our first dog shows)


Just Being Mandy

A  talented hunter, Mandy placed 4th in Puppy in her only Field Trial

 Mandy finished with a 5-point major  rank novice-owner-handled at the Westminster Kennel Club show at  the age of  18 months  under Judge Marjorie Martorella. Notice that in those days, it was not necessary to be a good handler to win a dog show!  Ms. Martorella must have told me five or six times to "calm down"!



Mandy BOS at the CVVC Specialty show in 1990 under Judge Joe Tacker. Mandy was actually pulled out first, but  Carol over handled Mandy (it was so hot that day, and nerves were in play) and she was awarded BOS.  BOB that day went to a beautiful boy named CH. Willo Runn's Fieldways Rocky CDX JH who would later become Mandy's son-in-law  (Raisa-Rocky Litter, May 1994).




Best Veteran In Sweeps

1996 VCA Nationals 

 Australian Breeder & Sweepstakes Judge  Faye Harris, Hannafor Vizslas


 Best Veteran In Sweeps & Winner of the Veteran Bitch Class - 1998 VCA Nationals - Breeder Judge Richard Hilderman Judged the Veteran Bitch Class
  Best Veteran in Show - Wallkill Kennel Club - 1998  - Judge Mrs. Terry DiPietro
Mandy was a nudge who wanted things her way, but a very special Nudge!




Sire: CH. Dirigo's Trademark

Dam: CH. Heelmark's Dontcha N'Deavor ROM


Trademark's Parents (Mandy's Paternal Grandparents)



Sire: BIS BISS CH. Dirigo's Gambler's Marker ROM

Dam: CH. Russet Leather Indian Summer



Deavor's Parents (Mandy's Maternal Grandparents)



BISS CH. Dirigo Gemstone's Gambl'N Spree


CH. Heelmark's Dontcha Tarnish



The Story of our First Litter

Noone can fully prepare you for the intensity of emotions involved in breeding, raising and placing a litter. The decision to breed our first litter having been made, the preliminary health clearances obtained and the stud selected, all we needed was Mandy to cycle as scheduled in early January 1989. Of course, the watched pot never boils! She finally came into season Easter Sunday at the end of March, and we bred her on day 9, 11 and 13 of her season. Within a week, we were fairly certain that she was pregnant. Around the fifth week, we commenced preparations. We scoured the whelping room and set up the newly constructed whelping box, lined with blankets. Mandy took one look at her whelping nest, turned tail and left! What, you must be nuts if you think I am going in there!


The WAIT commenced on day 61, just in case she whelped early. With the heat in the whelping room cranked up to 80+ degrees, Mandy and I waited. I looked at her; she looked at me. I read and reread Successful Dog Breeding by Walkowicz and Wilcox (the BOOK), just  to make sure I was adequately stressed out about the complications that could ensue. The BOOK said that Mandy would be nesting, asking to go out frequently and having contractions when the whelp was imminent. Well, she seemed to be doing all these things. I also monitored her temperature frequently will you please stop sticking that thing in my butt? and it fluctuated up and down, making me wonder if that was the pre-whelp decrease in temperature. And we looked at each other some more.


Days 61 and 62 passed without any premature event. Day 63, her due date, likewise passed without incident, as did Days 64 and 65. We had driving rain the entire week, and every trip outside to potty was extremely unpleasant. Our neighbors became actively involved in the WAIT (Hasn’t she had them YET?). Meanwhile, my year and a half year old child Danielle was starting to show the stress of being confined in the hot whelping room, and my adult male vizsla Maynard was feeling dejected. On day 65, I had Mandy examined by the vet, as recommended by the BOOK. All appeared normal, so we returned home to the WAIT, with a warning that a C-section should be considered if she didn’t whelp soon. Needless to say, all this time spent WAITING gave me a lot of time to worry, and I think the 80+ degree temperatures were getting to me. As day 66 passed, I was more and more concerned, though everything seemed to be normal. On day 67, the vet said a C-section should be performed the next day if she had not whelped. I told Mandy to hurry up or she would have to have surgery! And so we took another walk. Where were those puppies?


And then, on day 67, I finally understood the intensity of the pre-whelp symptoms. In the early evening, she nested with a frenzy; she went outside every five minutes to potty into the windy night of pouring rain; and at 8:25 p.m. a REAL contraction. Yes, clearly distinguishable from the “contractions” (probably kicks) I had been seeing all week. That first contraction caused her to suck in her belly as if she had just been punched and drew her back into a roach. And we were so ready! The Wait was finally coming to an end! My toddler was in bed asleep, my husband Bruce and I were both home, the bitch was in her box having contractions, all our supplies were handy, and she was in the throes of labor….finally!


And then, as if triggered by Mandy’s first contraction, the lights flickered off, then back on, then off again. No, this could not be happening. Denial quickly gave way to reality. Our warm, well-lit whelping room had been converted to total darkness. We had not prepared for this! Bruce and I (neither of whom has ever whelped a puppy) stumbled up the stairs in the dark, leaving Mandy alone in the whelping room hey guys, you’ve stared at me for an entire week; where are you going now that I need you?  I made a quick phone call to Mandy’s breeder Ruthie (she’s in labor…the power is out…help!) and grabbed a package of votive candles and a hurricane lantern from the kitchen…but WHERE WERE THE MATCHES? Probably with the missing flashlight! We ran around the house in a panic throwing things out of drawers in search of a pack of matches…and then, halleluiah, we found a pack of matches.


We raced back to the whelping room and lit the entire package of votives and the hurricane lantern. It looked like we were conducting some sort of religious ritual rather than a whelp. Mandy had 2 more hard contractions, lay down on her side and the first pup emerged. The pup was ½ in and ½ out in the semi-lit room, and I reached for the BOOK to determine if we should help. WHERE WAS THE BOOK? Of all times for it to be missing! Somehow I located the book in the darkness of our family room, found the whelping chapter and started reading the instructions to my husband at a pace that would have made an experienced auctioneer envious! Unfortunately, my husband can’t understand auctioneers, so he paused me, and I had to reread it at a normal speed. We did as the BOOK suggested (lift the bitch) and the puppy was delivered. As Mandy started to remove the sac from this little girl, another puppy was emerging. Mandy’s breeder arrived just after puppy #3 emerged, and the lights suddenly flicked back on…Mandy was doing it all, and we thought we were on smooth seas…and then, Mandy cut the umbilical on puppy #4 way too short, and my husband had to rush that puppy to the emergency vet for a stitch. The entire whelp, 5 girls and 2 boys, was over by 10:45 p.m. Of course,  I stayed up most of the night with Mandy, just to be safe.


The most difficult part of the whole process was ensuring proper placement of the pups. When the pups were six weeks old, not one was spoken for, and back in 1989 it was not  easy to find homes, much less good homes. Thankfully, with some help from other vizsla people and some newspaper advertising (back then we did actually advertise our pups), all the pups ended up in great homes by eleven weeks, and went on to live happy lives…Bentley, Arnie, Remi, Kislany, Tess, Szizy and Mindy.